You're using an old version of Internet Explorer. Please upgrade to IE 11 or above; or try using a different browser

Skip to Search
Skip to Content

Learn About Filing A Life Insurance Claim

Losing a loved one is one of the most difficult life events we ever have to face. At this emotional time of grief and remembrance, financial and legal issues must also be addressed — a process that can seem overwhelming. Fortunately, you and your loved one established life insurance policies to provide your family with the support they need in this stressful time.

How to Submit Life Insurance Claims

The following should be submitted to the Customer Service Center as part of filing a death claim.

  • Claimant’s Statement : This statement must be completed by the beneficiary; if there is more than one beneficiary, each must complete a separate statement. This statement is provided in the Life Claims Kit. Please download, complete and mail in with the necessary documentation.

  • Death Certificate : A certified death certificate issued by the appropriate governmental entity (e.g. County Health Department, Vital Statistics Department) is to be furnished with the claimant’s statement.

  • Newspaper Account : When available, a newspaper account of the death should be submitted.

  • Policy : The policy should be sent with this statement; explain if not enclosed.

Learn More in the AIG Life Claims Kit

How to File A Policy Claim Marketed by the Former (AGLA)

Customer Service

Privacy Notices

Policies and annuities issued by American General Life Insurance Company (AGL) except in New York, where issued by The United States Life Insurance Company in the City of New York (US Life). Variable policies and annuities are distributed by an affiliate, AIG Capital Services, Inc., member FINRA. Issuing companies AGL and US Life are responsible for financial obligations of insurance products and are members of American International Group, Inc. (AIG). Products may not be available in all states, and features, including rates, may vary by state. Refer to contract for complete details.