Become appointed with us
AIG Personal Lines works with an elite group of independent agencies across the country. To learn more about growing your business with AIG, click here >
Proactive Loss Prevention
Having insurance that replaces your home in a disaster is reassuring. Not losing your home and irreplaceable possessions in a disaster is even better.
- Wildfire Protection Unit ®
- If you live in an area prone to wildfires, this service provides an added layer of protection throughout the season. (Available in select parts of CA, CO and TX. Enrollment required.)
- Private Client Group’s Wildfire Protection Unit® is the first-ever personal wildfire protection program. Unlike the actions of a fire department, we aim to pre-empt damage before wildfires have even developed.
Please note: the Wildfire Protection Unit is a complimentary service for Private Client Group policyholders in select areas within the western U.S.
The Wildfire Protection Unit is not a private fire department; it’s a loss mitigation service designed to pre-empt damage well before a wildfire even ignites. We offer:
- At-home consultation. Our wildfire protection specialists can visit your property to assess its vulnerability in the event of a wildfire. If warranted, they can apply Phos-Chek®—the same environmentally friendly fire retardant used by the U.S. Forest Service—around the perimeter of your property. The retardant creates an added layer of protection that can last throughout wildfire season.
- During a wildfire. It is our goal to dispatch wildfire protection specialists to affected areas. Access permitting, they can visit vulnerable properties and apply Class A foam or Phos-Chek as needed.*
The Wildfire Protection Unit is available exclusively to Private Client Group policyholders residing in the eligible locales. Click here to enroll.
If you’re not a Private Client Group policyholder but want to consider placing your insurance with us, ask your independent agent or broker, or click here to find a broker near you.
Once you're enrolled: The GPS coordinates of your home will be entered into our state-of-the-art wildfire tracking system. When access is permitted, our mitigation specialists will be dispatched to the affected area to visit vulnerable policyholders. You do not need to call—or be on the property—for us to take action.
*The application of fire retardant is one part of an overall wildfire mitigation plan and homeowners should consult with public service organizations like the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (www.fire.ca.gov) for more tips and information on wildfire mitigation. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to access your property during a wildfire, or that the application of fire retardant will prevent or reduce damage of your property from a fire.
- Hurricane Protection Unit®
- We help coastal homeowners prepare effectively for hurricane season, and minimize the impact of wind and water on their properties after a major storm. (Available in select parts of FL, MA, NJ, NY and SC. Enrollment required.)
- Our Hurricane Protection Unit® can help you prepare effectively for hurricane season, and minimize the impact of wind and water on your home post-storm.
Please note: the Hurricane Protection Unit is a complimentary service for Private Client Group policyholders in select areas of Florida, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey and South Carolina.
How it works
The Hurricane Protection Unit works to proactively alleviate wind and water damage and help preserve the value of furnishings, artwork and other possessions. Two core services are provided:
To ensure we can provide the most effective response to the greatest number of policyholders, we have designated the following counties as post-event response areas:
- Pre-season planning. Because each home has its own unique vulnerabilities, one of our specialists can conduct an in-depth, on-site evaluation and map out suggestions to maximize preparedness well in advance of hurricane season. We can work one-on-one with you to develop individualized preparedness plans, action steps and timelines to execute.
- Post-storm response. We closely track the progress and projected landfall of approaching storms. Based on this information, we identify the homes that are likely to be most vulnerable. After landfall, our team will be on hand to assess exterior damage—in some cases even before a claim is submitted.1
To learn more about hurricanes and how to protect your family and property during these potentially devastating storms, visit the National Hurricane Center.
1We make every effort to reach enrolled policyholders affected by storms but cannot guarantee this in all circumstances.
- Earthquake Protection Unit
- Although earthquakes are unpredictable, there are steps you can take to safeguard your family and lessen the likelihood of damage.
- The first-ever Earthquake Protection Unit offers hands-on preparation assistance, as well as post-event response. This complimentary service is available to Homeowners and Earthquake policyholders of AIG Private Client Group who reside in the following Northern California counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Monterey, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and Sonoma.
How it works
The main component of the program, on-site evaluations, helps policyholders maximize readiness. Here are a few examples of how we can help:
Learn more about the program by clicking here.
- Develop preparedness plans, actions steps and timelines.
- Examine a home’s foundation, if accessible. We can provide recommendations for experienced retrofit contractors or structural engineers if it appears that the retrofit needs work.
- Identify which appliances, furniture and wall hangings should be more securely fastened to the wall or floor.
- Advise on the merits of a gas shut-off device. We also can identify the shut-off locations for water, gas and electrical systems.
- Collaborate with our art collection management team, when needed, to share best practices for protecting valuable collections.
To enroll in the Earthquake Protection Unit, please complete our online enrollment form. If you have questions or would like more information, please contact your independent insurance advisor.
- Family Safety and Security
- Our customized consultations can help you identify and reduce threats to family safety, security and personal wealth.
- Program Features
Meeting personally with our specialist is an important part of your preparation. Depending on the size of your property and the complexity of your plan, a security assessment can take anywhere from one to several hours. During a typical consultation, we will:
Following the consultation you will receive a customized report detailing potential problem areas and steps you can take to maximize safety.
- Gain a firsthand understanding of your lifestyle (for example, how often you travel or who has access to your home)
- Identify potential scenarios that could put your home or loved ones at risk
- Help you create and implement personalized action plans
Here are just a few of the areas that can be addressed during your consultation:
Our Services at Work
- Evacuation and Communication Planning
Keeping your family out of harm’s way is crucial during an emergency, as is staying connected with one another. We will help you implement customized plans for each family member, no matter where they are. We’ll also help you determine which personal items to take when evacuating.
- Home Security Assessment
We’re well-versed in the latest security technologies—from state-of-the-art alarm systems to camera surveillance—and can help you select the best solutions for your home. We also work hand-in-hand with industry-leading home security companies.
- Liability Assessment
Simple oversights such as an open pool gate or a broken railing can lead to injury—and perhaps a lawsuit. We can identify potential liability threats in and around your home, and advise on measures to correct them. In addition, we can facilitate complimentary background checks on private staff to ensure that those with access to your family and property are qualified and credible.
- Crisis Management
We work with highly regarded private security and crisis management personnel. Together, we can educate and train your family on how to avoid dangerous situations in everyday life or while traveling abroad.
Following are examples of how we can assist you:
- A policyholder was concerned about her young grandchild’s safety while he visited her large secondary home. We worked with the family to ensure that the child knew how to evacuate the home and advised on practical solutions to maximize safety.
- We consulted on maritime security matters for a policyholder who travels frequently among major ports in the United States and abroad.
- With the help of local residents and law enforcement officials, we conducted a community-wide security assessment to help address a recent spike in vehicle theft and burglary.
- A policyholder was traveling to South Africa. We provided safe hotel and car service recommendations, areas to avoid, points of contact and information on current events.
- Background Checks
- It’s imperative to confirm that those with access to your family and property are both qualified and credible. This complimentary resource helps you ensure that those with access to your loved ones and property are both qualified and credible.
- Residential Engineering Services
- Our engineering expert can conduct specialized inspections to help minimize the risk of property damage as a result of equipment failure. An infrared camera also may be used to reveal temperature variations behind walls or ceilings that are undetectable to the naked eye.
- Architectural Legacy Services
- Experts in historic preservation and architectural history can provide advice on loss prevention and documentation.